History

1874

  Chief W. N. Chamberlain and three officers

1876

  All Constables, no chief

1890

  Chief George L. Minor, John S. Been, Morris W. Searle, Charles H Watson, T.N. Cooley, George Simpson, Charles Barnes, A.C. Hayes, I.D. Knox. In 1890 John Breen was appointed Lock-up Keeper. He acted as Lock-up Keeper until 1900 and lived with his family in the basement of the Town Hall. Vagrants and tramps picked up were held overnight and released in the morning, but had to saw wood for one hour. Men in the Department wore helmets, carried clubs or black jacks and carried own guns.

1891

  Police Chief George L. Minor, Constables George Minor, John Breen, Morris Searle, Michael Sullivan, Benjamin Chadwick.

1894

  Chief Henry Mullen with four officers

1900

  Chief Oren G. Cash with six officers.

1905

  William F. Flouton appointed Chief and served until 1921.

1917

  Archie Williams and William Rehor were appointed bringing the Department to a total of 16 Officers.

1919

  The first motor vehicle was purchased for the Department. It was a REO Truck and it was operated until 1926. Prior to this time when a prisoner was brought in, The Officer hailed a ride in a car, trolley, or a business wagon. The Department consisted of all foot patrolmen. They worked 9 hours a day and had one day off in two weeks. There were two trains per day, an Eastbound at 10:10 PM and a Westbound at 2:50 AM. Trolleys were the only means of public transportation, with the last one at 11:35 PM

1921

  Westfield became a city and the First Police Commission were appointed, with George Searle, Chairman Ex-officio with Richard P. McCarthy and James H. Clark the other two members. On August 11, Capt Michael F. Sullivan was appointed Acting Chief of Police. On October 15 Thomas F. Daly was appointed Chief, at a salary of $2400.00. The patrolmen received $4.50 per day. The Police Department budget for the year was $35,327.50. July 29 a motorcycle was assigned to the Department.

1934

  March 3, 1934 a Motor Division established with four officers.

1936

  Captain Allen H. Smith appointed Acting Chief of Police

1938

  New Office space was constructed in the basement of City Hall for Chief's Office.

1939

  Allen H. Smith appointed Chief of Police. Rita A. Levere appointed first Clerk Stenographer and Special Policewoman.

1940

  First two way radio were purchased and installed in Headquarters and the cruisers.

1950

  Chief Smith died in Office, Capt George Hickson appointed Acting Police Chief and Sergeant Malcolm Donald appointed Acting Captain.

1951

  Malcolm Donald appointed Chief of Police

1953

  Six School Traffic Supervisors were added to protect school children at various school crossings.

1956

  Chief of Police's Office was temporarily moved from basement of City Hall because of the 1955 flood, to the Goldstein Building, on Church Street.

1958

  The Police Department was transferred to Basement of Old Normal School 59 Court Street which also included City Hall.

1972

  Sergeant Gerald O'Connor appointed Chief of Police. First Police Headquarters Building opens in October at 15 Washington Street. Has in-door firing range in basement.

1974

  5 Lieutenants were added to Chain of Command. Sergeants James Moran. James Cavanaugh, Joseph Bonkowski, Benedict Coach, Benjamin Surprise.

1975

  Introduction of the "4 and 2" work schedule. Officers work four straight days with 2 days off.

1980

  Linda Hammond became the first female full time police officer.

1985

  Lieutenant George Varelas took leave of absence after being elected Mayor of the City of Westfield.

1988

  Captain Benjamin F. Surprise appointed Acting Chief of Police

1989

  Police Department adopts the D.A.R.E. program, placing 1 Officer into the Elementary Schools teaching Drug Abuse Resistance Education.

1990

  Acting Chief Benjamin F. Surprise appointed Chief of Police.

1993

  Full time Traffic Bureau created. 1 Sergeant and 2 Patrolman assigned.

1994

  The Department began the concept of Community Policing, with 1 Patrolman assigned into the Orange Street area. The program expanded to Union Street with 1 Patrolman assigned to apartment complexes.

1995

  Explorer (Boy Scouts of America) direction of CPA Ray Manos (establishment of)

1996

  The Department adds two new programs. A bicycle patrol in downtown area and a School Resource Officer at Westfield High School. Every police officer issued a sixteen channel portable radio.

1997

  Westfield Police Department now consists of a Chief, 1 Captain, 4 Lieutenants, 9 Sergeants and 59 Patrol Officers. 1 Lieutenant, 1 Sergeant and 10 Patrol Officers assigned to Detective Bureau with 1 assigned to Regional Narcotic Task Force and 1 assigned a Court Officer at Westfield District Court. 1 Sergeant and 8 Patrol Officers to Community Police . 1 Sergeant and 2 Patrol Officers to the Traffic Bureau . 3 Patrol Officer assigned to Bicycle Patrol.

1997

  Civilian Domestic Violence Coordinator added to department.

1997

   Civilian Emergency Telecommunications Dispatchers added to the 4-12 shift.

1998

  October - John A. Camerota Chief of Police

1999

  First Citizens Police Academy.

1999

  First High School mentor program.

1999

  Establishment of citizen greeter in the Police Station lobby.

2000

  Establishment of first department K-9 unit. Officer Kerry Paton and Canine DUKE.

2000

  After a 50 year hiatus a motorcycle unit is established with the help of Senator Michael Knapik and State Representative Cele Hahn.

2003

  Establishment of department ATV unit for off road enforcement.

2003

  Officer Tracey Ploof assigned as a School Resource Officer at Westfield Vocational Technical High School.

2003

  Officer Paul Pellan assigned as a School Resource Officer responsible for North and South Middle Schools.

2014

  Police Department acquires its first boat for marine patrol on Hampton Ponds.