ATTENTION City of Westfield Water Consumers
Mandatory Water Use Restrictions
Pursuant to its authority under State and local laws, rules, and regulations, the City of Westfield Board of Water Commissioners has declared a State of Water Supply Conservation. A water supply shortage was created with the removal of Municipal Wells Number 2, 7 and 8 due to contamination with PFOA and PFOS and the ongoing drought impacting the Northeastern states.
The Board of Water Commissioners has determined that mandatory conservation measures are necessary to ensure that an adequate supply of water exists for all water consumers.
Water use restrictions. These restrictions apply to customers of the City of Westfield Department of Public Works Water Division and are necessary to maintain water pressure to ensure public safety and to ensure an adequate system capacity for essential uses by all customers. These restrictions are subject to change as conditions require.
This Non- Essential Water Use Restriction begins September 15, 2016 and shall be
effective until further notice.
Restriction: All non-essential outdoor water use is prohibited.
Examples of “non-essential” water use include:
- Irrigation of lawns via sprinklers or automatic irrigation systems;- Washing of vehicles, except in a commercial car wash or as necessary for operator safety; and
- Washing of exterior building surfaces, parking lots, driveways or sidewalks, except as necessary to apply surface treatments such as paint, preservatives, stucco, pavement or cement.- Irrigation of lawns, gardens, flowers and ornamental plants by means of a hand-held hose, soaker hose or drip irrigation system.
Examples of water uses NOT subject to restrictions:
- For health and safety reasons;- By regulation;
- For the production of food and fiber; - For the maintenance of livestock; or
- To meet the core functions of a business (for example, irrigation by golf courses as necessary to maintain tees, greens, and limited fairway watering, or irrigation by plant nurseries as necessary to maintain stock).
Enforcement:It is unlawful for any person to violate the terms, conditions, restrictions or requirements of a declaration of a state of water supply emergency or state of water supply conservation. The penalty for violation of these mandatory restrictions is $25.00 for the first citation and $50.00 for the second and each additional citation. Each day on which a violation occurs constitutes a separate violation.
This mandatory water restriction program is designed to sustain the water supply for all. Your anticipated cooperation is greatly appreciated. If you have any questions please contact the Water Division at 413-572-6269.
Notice of Drinking Water Health Advisory Level Exceeded for Well #2